Sunday, September 21, 2008

Querido Avô

Funerals are hard. As if losing someone you loved wasn't bad enough, now you have to endure seeing your lost loved one in an open casket and have to go through the grieving process in front of many many people. I haven't been to a funeral like this one since my Great Grandma Olivia died many years ago. Five Wounds Catholic Church, which probably has a capacity to fit a few hundred people, was packed. My Grandpa touched so many people's lives and seeing all those people there just made it more of a reality. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, to see my Grandma so grief stricken it looked as if she could pass out at any moment. I've seen enough sobbing relatives to last a lifetime.

My Grandpa was 72 years old when he passed away last Sunday. He died in his sleep, which is how I would want to go if I had a choice I guess. Although it was sudden, at least he got to live every day of his life knowing how much he was loved. He got to take all of his memories with him. He was such a funny man. He could always make you laugh. He loved loved loved babies...and ALL babies loved him. He just had this magic baby touch. Watching him with Olivia for the last time last month will be one of my most cherished memories of my life. He loved wine, don't think there was a wine out there he didn't like. He loved football...the 49ers...and was the kind of guy who would stand up and yell at the referees and if his team didn't win, he'd be in a bad mood the rest of the day. He loved fishing. I would say that was his passion...fishing and then cooking his catch with my Grandma. Even though he knew I have been a vegetarian for years, every time he saw me he'd give me a hard time about not eating meat. hahaha. I don't think he ever understood why I didn't eat meat, he probably thought I was crazy.

He was so cute and small, but if you saw him you'd know he was a strong man. He lived a full life. He brought his family here from Portugal when my mom was still a young girl. He had 6 children, 12 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. He was survived by his mother and his brothers and sisters. He will be missed.



1982 - Grandpa & Me

1 comment:

The Indian Summer said...

My grandpa was 72 also ... I was only seven though. Michelle, you are so lucky that you had such a cute little grandpa that was a part of you life! It's always hard to loose a loved one ... but you are lucky that you had him! I love you and hope that your heart heals fast. Remember the fun you had with him. And I still love that Olivia is named after her great grandma